Tuesday 29 June 2010

Race Relations in America


America's racial history is still being written. All Americans share in this discussion and today that discussion will no doubt pick up a little. Sen. Robert Byrd is dead at 92; the West Virginia lawmaker was the longest serving member of Congress in history. He was also infamously a member of the Ku Klux Klan in his early years before formalizing his education and ultimately becoming an elected official, a fact that his detractors never let him live down.

When I was a reading instructor, one passage I was especially fond of was from a great author, historian, actor, and broadcaster, Studds Terkel. I liked it because I was teaching English as a second language and explaining American race relations to outsiders is a formidable task. It's called "Why I quit the Klan" and it's and interview with a former exalted cyclops of the KKK, C.P. Ellis.

"Why I quit the Klan" and inteview with C.P. Ellis by Studs Terkel

No comments:

Post a Comment